Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for young men and women who are 14 years of age OR 13 years of age and have completed the eighth grade and under 21 years of age. Venturing's purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.
Venturing's purpose is to provide positive experiences to help young people mature and to prepare them to become responsible and caring adults.
Venturing is based on a unique and dynamic relationship between youth, adult leaders, and organizations in their communities. Local community organizations establish a Venturing crew by matching their people and program resources to the interests of your people in the community. The result is a program of exciting and meaningful activities that helps youth pursue their special interests, to grow, to develop leadership skills, and to become good citizens.
Venturing Crews can specialize in a variety of avocation or hobby interests. Venturing programs are developed around six experience areas of emphasis:
- Develop a better understanding of America’s social, economic, and governmental systems
- Encourage a pride in our American heritage
- Develop leadership skills
- Prepare for giving leadership and to fulfill responsibilities to American society and to the people of the world
- Improve mental, emotional, and physical fitness and an appreciation for sports
- Develop ethical decision-making skills
- Instill stable personal values firmly based on religious concepts
- Develop skills in dealing with all people and encourage a sense of family and community responsibility
- Develop a degree of self-reliance based on courage, initiative, and resourcefulness
- Understand and appreciate the wise use of resources and the protection of our environment
- Encourage the skill and desire to help others
- Gain a keen respect for the basic rights of others
The Venturing Division is designing literature, audiovisuals, training, activities, and awards to support Venturing crews and ships.
Literature and audiovisuals. A variety of books, pamphlets, and videos are being developed to assist with organization, program, leadership, and activities. In particular, the Venturing Leader Manual will support leadership and planning.
Training. Basic and advanced leader training sessions along with crew leader workshops, quarterly Advisor meetings, and program conferences will be available to improve and enrich Venturing crew programs. A weeklong high-adventure skills course for Venturing Advisors is available.
Activities. Programs that enhance youth participation, such as the National Leadership Conference, will be available to all Venturing crews and youth and adult members.